As we prepare to dive into a new season of “The Bachelorette” where Clare’s suitors include a few former NFL players and a sports agent, we take a look back at some of our favorite athletes who looked for love on TV. Dating qualifies as a sport right?
1. The first professional athlete on “The Bachelor” was former New York Giants (NFL – National Football League) quarterback Jesse Palmer. He picked a woman at the end of the show but instead of giving her a ring, he offered her a ticket to New York. You guessed it – it didn’t work out. He continued his zest for love, hosting the show based on first impressions, “The Proposal.” He is also a college football analyst for ESPN. AND HE HAS GREAT HAIR.
2. Who could forget Colton Underwood’s infamous fence jump? When his lady love Cassie quit the show, the former football player put his skills to the test, hurdling the compound fence in Portugal where cameras and everyone’s wingman, Chris Harrison, chased him through the dark. It all worked out for a while until they broke up and Cassie filed a restraining order on Colton. ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END?
3. Jordan Rodgers has lived his life in the shadow of his brother, Green Bay Packers (NFL) quarterback Aaron Rodgers. While Jordan “won” the show and is getting ready to walk down the aisle with the bachelorette JoJo Fletcher at some point in 2021. (Fletcher serves as the host for some of Clare’s season when Chris Harrison was out during his 14-day quarantine after taking his son to college). The two brothers do not have a good relationship, as Jordan calls out occasionally on his social media. Jordan, a former quarterback, is currently holding down a job as an SEC (a college sports conference) Saturday Sports Commentator. SIBLING RIVALRY
4. Former race car driver and Bachelorette alum turned Bachelor Arie Luyendyk, may go down in history as the least favorite bachelor. He proposed to one contestant (Becca) and then had buyer’s remorse before the finale actually aired and wanted to be with the other (Lauren). Now he and Lauren are married and have an eight-month-old daughter. SADLY HER NAME ISN’T ROSE
5. Former professional snowboarder Jessie Csincak may have been chosen as “the one” on DeAnna Pappas’ season but sadly it didn’t work out for the two. Although he did find love, marrying Ann Lueders, who was on Jason Mesnick’s season of “The Bachelor.” He continued to further his five minutes of fame by hosting a net series called“Bachelorette Beatdown with Jesse Csincsak.” MAXIMIZE THE OPPORTUNITY.
About the author:
Driven to breakdown the stereotypes, Amy and her brother Scott created Last Night’s Game, which empowers its readers to join the sports conversation, even if they don’t know the first thing about sports. They do that through a triweekly email publication and a weekly podcast. Also, they’re hosting a Bachelorette Bracket if you want to join in on the fun.